There are many reasons a person has difficulty falling asleep. There are often a few different factors involved in causing a person to lose sleep. So, what can a person do when they are dealing with not enough sleep? Thankfully, there are some tips that can make falling asleep much easier. Although it may take some time to get into a good routine, it is possible to improve the way an individual sleeps so they can wake rested and ready to begin their day.
If a person is suffering from insomnia, it behooves them to seek medical attention. The signs of insomnia include:
- Inability to fall asleep
- Inability to remain asleep
- Waking feeling tired
- Waking up throughout the night
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Difficulty concentrating
It is helpful if a person begins a sleep journal to help them keep track of how they are sleeping each night and over a period of weeks and months. This can allow them to see a pattern so they can determine if a certain activity, food, or drink seems to be causing their sleepless nights. This journal is especially beneficial for showing the doctor, if sleepless nights continue for more than six months at a time, since medical intervention may be needed.
These tips will help individuals to get a better night’s sleep:
- Establish a consistent bedtime each night and stick to the schedule.
- Do not bring work, phones, computers, or other electronics in the bedroom.
- Do not sleep with any light on in the room.
- Avoid caffeine and nicotine at least two to three hours before bedtime.
- Avoid eating a heavy meal right before laying down and do not eat any sugary snacks before bedtime.
- Exercising early in the day can be beneficial but waiting too late in the day can cause issues.
Using these tips will make sleep easier to come by. If you are suffering from a lack of sleep and cannot seem to find relief, it may be beneficial to seek the help of a doctor to determine the cause. With time and practice, you can establish a more effective nighttime routine so you can find true rest.